We go the polls in three weeks and the campaigns are getting into full swing. I even spotted one of the candidates out tonight knocking doors.
But what do we know about the candidates? While two of the candidates are very well known in Cardiff North, the others have lower profiles or are new to politics.
- Julie Morgan is the incumbent AM and previously MP for Cardiff North. You’d be hard pressed to name a more well known politician in these parts.
- Jayne Cowan has been a councillor in Rhiwbina for many years and has been campaigning for a very long time.
- Elin Walker Jones was a candidate in the general election last year so a few of you may recall her.
- Chris von Ruhland was the Green Party candidate for Cardiff Central in last year’s general election and for Cardiff North in 2010.
- John Dixon has been a councillor for many years in both the Vale of Glamorgan and Cardiff.
- Fiona Burt is standing as an independent candidate and this is her first time standing in an election.
- Haydn Rushworth is the UKIP candidate and also a first time candidate.
With the election date looming, do we know what each candidate is saying? First off, you should read the articles that the candidates have written for My Cardiff North.
All of the candidates have Twitter accounts and some are more active than others. If you’re looking for more detail though, Julie and Jayne have dedicated websites and several others have Facebook pages.
You may also find your doormat swamped with election leaflets from candidates and the parties.
We’d love to know what influences your vote? Are national issues more important than local issues? Do you vote for the person or the party?
You can get in touch with us using our contact form or on Twitter. If you’d like to ask all the candidates a question, use the #ATCNC hashtag.